I don’t believe in making New Year’s resolutions, but I do believe in making goals. They (whoever “they” are) say that you should only make one resolution, that it should be realistic, and that it shouldn’t be something you’ve resolved to do in previous resolutions and failed at.
I believe you should have more than one goal; that yes, they should be realistic; and that just because you may have failed at something in the past doesn’t mean you can’t succeed at, or improve upon the same goal later.
Some of my goals for 2010 are writing-related, many are not. Anyway, here is my list. I have numbered them, but they are in no particular order.
- Apply for at least one writing job a week. I thought about making this “apply for one writing job a day”, but I don’t know that I can do that. There are days when I don’t check job listings, and other days when pickings are slim, but finding one job a week to apply for should be very doable.
- Update all my blogs regularly. I have several personal blogs, and they are all severely in need of updating.
- Write more often for pleasure. In keeping with the above goal, I not only need to keep my blogs updated, but I also need to get back into the habit of writing poetry, and also work on my novels in progress.
- Improve financial status. This one shouldn’t be too difficult, since our financial status was in the toilet in 2009. I’m not sure the manner in which this goal will be accomplished; but it will happen.
- Become active in the community. Working at home, I don’t have a lot of social interaction. We’ve lived here a year and a half, and I still don’t know very many people, and don”t have that much opportunity to meet any. I hope to change that this year.
- Become active in Etsy/Artfire/Bonanzle. I have shops at all three sites, but I haven’t listed anything new lately.
- Participate in craft fairs. I have made so much jewelry, and have sold very little. In addition to the above, I want to take part in area craft shows/fairs.
- Lose weight. Okay, I know this is a common “resolution”, and an oft-failed one. I want to lose at least 10 pounds. I need to do this to feel better about myself.
- Exercise. My body is starting to show the effects of lack of exercise. Having Whitley (our new puppy) will help, because I plan to start walking him daily. Plus, exercising will help me lose weight.
- Show my husband everyday that I love him and cherish the day he entered my life. I know that I didn’t show him enough during the last year that he means the world to me.
- Add one new writing client to my resume. Most of my writing income comes from writing for content sites and blog networks. I want to add at least one private client in the coming year.
- Continue to reconnect with old friends, and make new ones. I love being a part of Facebook because it’s allowed me to find old friends from school and work that I’ve lost track of over the years. It’s also helped me reconnect with cousins who I haven’t seen in years. I want to continue making connections.
- Go camping more often. We only went twice last year. Definitely not enough.
- Organize my office/craft room. I’ve started this project a couple of times and never finished. I really, really need to get this done.
- Appreciate my family and friends. I do this already, but I often fail to show it. I’m going to work on that.
My list of goals will change and grow as the year progresses, I’m sure. I will post updates as they happen.
What are your goals for 2010?
Image by Koka Sexton via flickr